Are Dentures the Solution for You?
Tooth damage is common over time, but what happens when teeth become so damaged or decayed that they no longer serve you? At the office of Matthew J. Cavendish, DDS, PLLC, we strive to offer solutions for patients whose missing or decaying teeth are impacting their quality of life. Dentures, among other treatment options, are incredibly popular with our Phoenix, AZ patients. Dr. Cavendish’s team can educate you about the process of getting partial dentures, denture repair, and a slew of other topics surrounding this restorative treatment. Find out if dentures are right for you.
Am I a Candidate?
Many of our patients wonder whether snap-on dentures are a good choice for them. The good news is that nearly anyone with several missing or decayed teeth can benefit from a new set of dentures. The best candidates have almost no remaining natural teeth but still have healthy gums and a strong jawbone. Dr. Cavendish will evaluate your condition and let you know if you’re in good shape for dentures.
Know the Types of Dentures
It only makes sense that dentures aren’t one-size-fits-all. After all, every patient is unique and has different health needs. Depending on your circumstances, Dr. Cavendish will recommend either complete or partial dentures. Here’s what you need to know about each type:
- Conventional Dentures: This variety of complete dentures is what most of us think of when we picture artificial teeth. They fit the shape of your mouth, so they can only be placed once your gums have healed from any extractions.
- Immediate Dentures: Another type of complete dentures, immediate dentures, can be placed right after a tooth extraction. However, they often need refitting to ensure you stay comfortable.
- Partial Dentures: If you’re only missing a few teeth in a row, partial dentures might be the best solution. This restorative solution attaches to existing teeth and functions as a bridge.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: To get the best fit, we often recommend implant-supported dentures. These restorations require surgery, but they’re much more stable than traditional dentures.
The Benefits of Affordable Dentures
Whether you get permanent dentures or a removable set, you’ll enjoy numerous benefits. Today’s dentures are quite convenient and will have you enjoying life to the fullest in no time. Specifically, you can take advantage of the following:
- Eat nearly all your favorite foods
- Speak and hold conversations easily
- A self-esteem boost
- Up to 10 years of use
Proper Maintenance Is Key
All kinds of dentures require proper maintenance to keep them in top shape. Fortunately, caring for your denture implants and partials is simple. When you’re considering this restorative solution, Dr. Cavendish and his team will make sure you have all the relevant information when it comes to maintaining your new set of teeth. In general, dentures require the following care:
- Daily rinsing in lukewarm water
- Regular cleaning using a soft brush
- Consistent use of a specialized denture cleaner
- Soaking when not in use
- Refraining from placing dentures on the edge of the counter or anywhere they might be damaged
Schedule an Appointment Today
You deserve a healthy and complete smile, and Dr. Cavendish wants to help you achieve it. With the help of his Phoenix, AZ team, he’ll consult with you and recommend the best restorative solution for your unique needs. Many of our patients have benefitted from dentures over the years, and we’ll ensure that you get a custom set that makes your life easier rather than harder. Don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with us!