Care for Patients of All Ages
Dr. Matthew J. Cavendish and his team are proud to offer exceptional dental care for patients young and old. We’re happy to see toddlers who are just learning to brush on their own, as well as teenagers, adults, and senior citizens. No matter your stage of life, our family dentist is here for you. At our Phoenix, AZ office, we offer all the staples of pediatric dentistry, general dentistry, and cosmetic dentistry. If you’re looking for compassionate care for the whole family, you can’t go wrong with a visit to Dr. Cavendish.
What Is Family Dentistry?
Family dentistry is a general term for a dentist who treats patients of all ages. They work with patients who are coming in for their first visit at age two, as well as senior citizens stopping by for a routine checkup. In short, a family dentist is a general dentist with a particular specialty in working with children.
Offering Checkups and Cleanings
Most dentists recommend regular checkups at least every six months. We offer routine checkups and cleanings for patients of all ages. Whether your visit is right on schedule or you haven’t been to the dentist in a while, we’re excited to see you. During your visit, our hygienists will clean all the plaque and tartar off your teeth and look for signs of infection or other dental conditions. We may also take x-rays or apply dental sealants to further protect your oral health.
Providing the Staples of Pediatric Dentistry
Dr. Cavendish is well-versed in dentistry for children and all the common preventative measures. We’ll work with parents to come up with an oral health plan that includes regular cleanings, restorative dentistry, and any other treatments their child may need. Our dental office offers all of the following to our young patients, among other treatments:
- Fluoride Treatment: Fluoride has been shown to strengthen tooth enamel and protect the teeth from any further exposure to acids and bacteria. We recommend a quick and painless fluoride treatment at the conclusion of each cleaning.
- Sealants: We often recommend dental sealants for children, as they offer extra protection against acid, bacteria, and other particles that might get stuck between the teeth. Luckily, applying sealants is totally pain-free!
- Mouth Guards: Mouth guards are an excellent way to prevent undue damage to the teeth, especially if your child struggles with teeth grinding. We can custom-fit mouth guards to your child’s teeth.
- First Visits: It’s never too early to bring your child in for a checkup! In fact, we suggest your child’s first appointment take place by their first birthday.
Scheduling Early Appointments Is Crucial
Taking your child to the dentist early in life is crucial to a healthy, fear-free relationship with oral healthcare. It’s no secret that many children are afraid of the dentist, but getting your child used to our office early can help ease most of that anxiety. Scheduling an appointment around their first birthday is also beneficial for the following reasons:
- We can identify problems before they become significant (i.e., improper growth or alignment)
- Cavendish can ensure that the teeth are coming in properly
- We can offer advice for making teeth more comfortable
- We can begin carrying out preventative dental care, including fluoride treatments
Contact Dr. Matthew J. Cavendish Today
Dental care is vital, no matter your age. Regardless of when your last appointment was, Dr. Matthew J. Cavendish and his team would be happy to see you. We’ll develop a treatment plan for existing conditions or consult with you on your child’s oral health. For unmatched pediatric and family dentistry, Phoenix residents trust Dr. Cavendish. Contact us today to discuss your next appointment.